Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My name is ......And I am a Perfectionist

Let's face it ! We  are  a society that craves  success.  T.V shows such as The Real Housewives Series actively flaunt the principal that hard work brings a fantasy of perks  such as money , fame , etc. While this sort of principal is widely acknowledged  as being true, it  ,as a result   carries an immense  burden on  teens to prosper in this world.


Perfectionism is  an unsung issue faced by teens on a day -to day basis . As someone enduring  their last year of high school  I am with out a doubt feeling the senior  year burn out.  In a year where  you are examined like a  hawk , by college admissions personnel, family, peers, employers,  love interests  and so on , the  mounting stress carries  a nasty cost. So much so   that even the slightest mishap, ignites  inner demons,  that  cast  a spell, vocalizing a   life, of life  long loserness. 
 For those of you reading , you   probably think this is absolutely  absurd. But to those out there who are the product of such an anxiety , it is a reality that lingers, despite the  continuous efforts to dispel its'  properties.

Perfectionists , you know the type. The people in school that hate being wrong, obsess about weight, and  freak out  about every little thing . The  so- called over achiever, that gets on every one's nerve  for  well, needing to excel  at every waking opportunity . I used to have a huge distaste for the Over achiever . I would ponder over why they could not  just  have a   relaxed perspective when it came to school, or sports.   . Anyway, to those out there who have not clued in by now, ...  I am one of them.


Growing up with an Asian mother  I suppose  I have had this trait subconsciously  for a number of years. In fact, I recall days  locking myself in the school bathroom  shedding a a string of tears , in full panic mode , wondering why |I could not  grasp grade 10 math concepts.  Or staying up extra hours into the night mastering my triple pirouette for dance  , or creating an immaculate Socials studies project , because I wanted to impress, I NEEDED to .  When I look back at it now, perhaps the underlying issue to my perfectionism , was  the fact that I had always been at the bottom of the social ladder. In school everyone practically worships the athletes. After  a multitude of  failed attempts in becoming  that soccer star , I  finally found  that niche that enabled me to receive recognition. A recognition so addictive ,  I can almost say that next to coffee, the adrenaline of  success was and still is my crack.

 I  had never  initially fathomed    for this blog to be utilized as a  way to spell out my personal issues . However,  as the stress peaks ,and  the days of feeling sleep deprived  go out numbered, I often wonder  and  hope that someone in the world wide web is going through similar issues as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment